The challenge for many B2B content writers is producing a regular stream of quality content when you just do not know what to say. When it comes to marketing tactics, there is only a short window of time in which you are able to grab the attention of your audience and keep readers engaged.
If you can picture B2B marketing as a puzzle, then all of the pieces must fit together in order to see the whole picture. Content connects with customer engagement and other pieces in order to make the whole system work. When content marketers were asked which challenges they faced in the industry, 54% cited the production of engaging content as number one.
Customers are expecting to be informed and be engaged at the same time, so what’s a marketer to do when you just don’t know what to create? It seems to many different mediums are clamoring for attention, and it is important for your content to stand out as credible, engaging, and relevant.
If you are tired of staring at the screen with no ideas for new content, here are 4 tips for creating B2B content when you hit writers block.
- Narrow it Down: Potential buyers are surrounding by all things instant-mobile technology, social media, and email alerts. It should come as no surprise that customers also want to know how you can provide solutions to their problem in a short amount of time. It is important to not waste time on needless information or attempt to present a sales pitch. Skip over the fluff and get to the point by writing out your message, then condensing down the only the most pertinent and helpful content.
- Aim at the Audience: The key with B2B content marketing is to stay away from painting with broad strokes. In order for your message to reach the right audience, you have to think about who your ideal client is. B2B Marketing suggests looking past the usual “who, what, when, and where” in order to find out about your audience’s education, hobbies, and other aspects that make them who they are. When you can pinpoint your specific audience, it becomes much easier than trying to write a general reader.
- Cultivate Creativity: What says B2B content marketing has to be boring? In an industry of long sales cycles and multiple decision-makers, it is easy to forget that behind the computer screen or mobile app is a real human with real needs. It is not always a bad thing to infuse humor or lightheartedness into your content, especially if it connects your audience to your message. Begin with a relevant story, recent trends, or humorous news article to spark your creative writing.
- Use Multiple Types of Content: The options for content tactics are endless. They include:
- Social media-Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest
- Case Studies
- Q&A Sessions
Using multiple content tactics can help to arm your audience with the right information in order to make an informed decision during the buying process. B2B buyers are performing more research and coming into the sales journey with more knowledge than ever before, so keeping them supplied with quality resources is necessary for the buying experience.
Writers Block in B2B Can Happen to Every Content Marketer
B2B content marketing is a unique industry, one that demands a certain approach in order to produce results. Writers block can happen to anyone, but when you can narrow down the message to make your point, know your readers so the content fits the audience, cultivate your own creativity by lightening up a bit, and engage readers with multiple types of content, it becomes a bit easier to get over the hurdles.
What has helped you overcome writers block in your B2B content creation? Have you found any resources to be helpful along the way?